The château had already been falling into ruin for several years at the French Revolution. The walls of the ramparts were in particularly poor condition.
In 1809, the prefect ordered its division and sale. However, the Bermond tower, its apron wall and the inside courtyard remained the property of the commune.
Several families settled in the buildings, turning the castle into the upper district of the town. Even a school was opened there. But the site was abandoned at the beginning of the 20th century.
The Bermond tower was listed as a historical monument in 1926. However, in 1936 the town had water tanks built in the courtyard, the former parade ground. The school and the northern and eastern barracks were demolished.